PDA

View Full Version : IFS Vs. Live Axle

SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS
26-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Made this too keep the discussion out of the Hotness Thread!

Discuss away!

Lasoya
26-11-2010, 12:21 PM
IFS = Poo

stout250
26-11-2010, 12:35 PM
This topic makes jesus cry... It comes up on every 4wd forum, and always gets closed/deleted. everyone has an opinion, and a "mate who had one them that died in the desert"...

I think it comes down to preference... I prefer Solid Axle, as i prefer the simplicity and ease of repairs, there is also less that can go wrong. That being said, i hate the ride that my 60 series 'Cruiser offers. Leaf Springs all around, and 33' muddies... But i have driven both IFS and Solids, and from a variety of manufacturers (Tojo, Nissan, Mitsi, Mazda) and find that i also hate torsion bar IFS, it always seems too spongey and dips on the rougher stuff. Coil fronts are just like cars in my experience...

People seem to bag out IFS as incapable, but i think they can get consuded between incapable and the fact that IFS generally will always have less suspension travel, and 'flex' than its solid counterpart. alot of sikunt '4wders' will judge a 4wd on its 'hektik' flex, and only its flex, regardless of the purpose it serves (tourer, daily, weekender, rockcrawler, etc).

South
26-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Take a leaf out of the yanks books. Comp Trucks run IFS and IRS these days.

mys1
26-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Horses for Courses,

Have been and done the canning stock root in a fully loaded IFS car, Alot if interior work in generall as well. And that was in a petrol car! (Gasp!)

Have been rock crawling, and ill admit live axels are better at it, however with careful wheel placement and some forthought, its hard to get them stuck!

stout250
26-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Theres a difference between a crawler/ buggy/truggy, and a race buggy/ truggy... the yanks RACE 4wds and buggies, and use full independant suspension, but you'll find that solid axle is the choice for most crawlers...

mys1, hit it on the head, it comes down to personal preference, and driving smart not hard; wheel placement and forward thinking will win out over power and the best gear.

Drift_R32
26-11-2010, 01:35 PM
i dunno i thought the fact IFS was poo was the fact the CVs cant take any heavy hits without constantly dying. my mates Rodeo killed like 2 within the half year he had it and that was fuk all 4wding either.

stout250
26-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Both setups have CV's, but the CV's in an IFS setup get put under alot more stress when the suspension is lifted... in general, you can only safely lift an IFS car 40-50mm's before you have to start considering spacing the diff downwards, which undoes the good work done by the lift, of raising the diff upwards.

Solid axles CV's can fail too, too many revs, adn dropping a wheel back on the ground =
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j86/mac1cruz/cv.jpg

South
26-11-2010, 02:06 PM
IFS doesn't have the worry about diff clearance like a live axle. Guarantee a dropped diff with 33s on an IFS will still be a fair amount higher than the pumpkin on a live axle sitting on 33s.

Pajero I could rotate my whole body whilst working under the front of car, Cruiser I can only get my chest under the diff, let alone under the pumpkin.

devilfish
26-11-2010, 02:10 PM
IFS is inherently weaker in design, from a pure durability and weight carrying perspective, don't see many IFS/IRS trucks

South
26-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Don't see many 4WD's pulling 90t either :)

Dugle
26-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Depends what you want out of your 4x4, if you want to rock krawl and tackle obstacles at low speed then live axle is prob what you want (google King Of Hammers), if you want speed and handling while offroad then perhaps IFS is the way to go.
Live axle has better articulation and is able to keep all wheels on the surface more often.
IFS has better handling.

PHIL
26-11-2010, 04:43 PM
IFS doesn't have the worry about diff clearance like a live axle. Guarantee a dropped diff with 33s on an IFS will still be a fair amount higher than the pumpkin on a live axle sitting on 33s.

Pajero I could rotate my whole body whilst working under the front of car, Cruiser I can only get my chest under the diff, let alone under the pumpkin.

that also depends on the make of car, a hilux on 33s has as much diff clearence as a cruiser or patrol on 35s, so a lux with 35s will be even better.

alot of people complain that live axle fourbys handle like crap but i prefer them for the fact that there are no weak points like control arms. with live axle you can upgrade the axles and cvs were as ifs they are only just being made avaliable.

Passage GT
26-11-2010, 05:15 PM
ifs provides better handling sure, but do you buy a prado or hilux for it's handling?
most people used to buy a hilux for it's toughness and durability, they're rapidly losing that reputation though
i prefer the extra ground clearance and flex of solid axles, as well as the extra strength and simplicity
ifs having more ground clearance than a live axle?
my gq is stock on 31 inch rubber
hilux's at work are stock on 29 inch rubber
mine has fuckloads more than 2 inches more clearance than one of the hilux's or prado's at work at they're lowest points, as do the cruisers we use

it's a pointless argument anyway, if you prefer live axle, buy one, if you prefer ifs and/or irs, buy one of them and be happy with what you got

DRIFT13
25-12-2010, 09:54 PM
Im with Passage GT, buy what you need. My missus hilux is a 2000 model with IFS, great on the road, and good offroad, have driven a Live axle and found it a dog onroad, and same as a IFS offroad. But thats cause we dont drive mad offroad, and we dont drive the powerline track in search of a mad flex shot just for the fun of smashing sumps!