PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 Compressor Suggestions

evoeata
13-06-2011, 07:58 PM
hey guys,
looking at setting my surf up with a compressor so i can pump up the tyres after a session out in the bush or on the beach.

anyone got experience with any compressors that are small enough to mount in the engine bay and would have no dramas with pumping up 4 33'' MTZ's?

mr_mike
13-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Do u use ur aircon matt? If not google endless air, can convert the air con compressor to pump up tires will pump up ur 33's from 12psi to road pressure in seconds.
But then again bein a cashed up miner u could just go buy an underbonnet ARB one.

evoeata
13-06-2011, 08:08 PM
my aircon isnt hooked up either. sounds like too much work. ill prob buy one haha

mr_mike
13-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Not really pretty much a case of undoing the 2 fittings on the comp and putting air line fittings on. Then have length of airhose in with ur recovery gear. Plug airline in, turn aircon on at factory switch blow up tires

chevpatrol
13-06-2011, 08:14 PM
bush-ranger compressors are the best, arb couldn't make one better so they bought them out! talk to ash at perth 4x4 or russel or tom at 4x4 and more

Pete
13-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Do u use ur aircon matt? If not google endless air, can convert the air con compressor to pump up tires will pump up ur 33's from 12psi to road pressure in seconds.
But then again bein a cashed up miner u could just go buy an underbonnet ARB one.

Told him about this earlier, but I also added in the old truck air tank under the rear for some storage. Be a better solution for him, means he can do his blow up doll at the same time.

mr_mike
13-06-2011, 08:18 PM
yeh i got a few 15ltr airtanks of trucks stashed away at work for when i eventually get my set up sorted.

Pete
13-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Yep. Mate had the same deal in his shorty 40. Had the intake for the air into the compressor on little filters taped right up in the highest point of engine bay. Put the tank up as far as he could underneath, and ran airlines to a a standard fitting hanging out of rear bumper.

Had the compressor running off a pressure switch set for 110 psi, used it for his front and rear lockers and pumping up tyres. Had a 6.2l Brunswick V8 so the little time it took to repump the tank up didn't really drain power or torque.

family guy
13-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Bushranger sell good ones for $100 odd bucks and they are rated by 4wding community. google bushranger. They have a big range online.

Jais
13-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I've got an ARB unit here with the kit to set up air lockers that my missus' cousin got for me while he worked at ARB Welshpool. Mounted under the bonnet of our old Vitara fine and had plenty of hose to reach the back tyres. Was really easy to install and remove as well and it didn't take long to pump the tyres up (although they were only standard 16's) I'll try it on my F-truck's 31's later and see how long it takes to inflate them

coucheee
13-06-2011, 10:37 PM
i have an arb under bonnet, couldnt be happier with it, havnt ever really timed it but usualy pump up 4 35's from 16-18 to 38-40 in about 10 mins

evoeata
13-06-2011, 10:45 PM
do you give it a little while to cool down between tyres? or just take it off and go to the next one? dont want to be stuck out in the bush with 1 or 2 tyres inflated.

Passage GT
13-06-2011, 11:09 PM
my mate made his own endless air setup years ago, worked awesome, want it to pump up faster, give it some hand throttle lol.
i've had an ironman compressor for about a year now and has no problems pumping up my 31s or the old mans 33s
haven't had it hit the auto heat cutout thingo yet

KPWISHN
14-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Had an ARB underbonnet one for my lockers in my last 4wd. The airhose attachment was great and would blow up a set of 33's from 20 to 40psi in about 3-4minutes each one. Was very reliable and never got hot enough to cut out which is always a piss off. Keen also to hear if there is better out there as I'm looking for a new unit for my current 4wd build.

pgc
14-06-2011, 08:40 AM
Bushranger Black Max.

/thread.

scary
14-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Bushranger Black Max.

/thread.

That's what I have and it pumps our 18's from 5psi to 32psi in about 1min/tyre

evoeata
14-06-2011, 09:04 AM
sweet cheers guys. will check out bushranger.

T-Diddy
14-06-2011, 09:19 AM
bush-ranger compressors are the best, arb couldn't make one better so they bought them out! talk to ash at perth 4x4 or russel or tom at 4x4 and more

yeah + 2 or 3 even
I've had one of these, never had a problem with them... went out 4wd'n on a 40deg once my mates older model ARB one cooked, this one kept going..
while I've had it, I've had to replace the fuse once.

South
14-06-2011, 10:15 AM
If not using AC then set it up like 'endless air' Don't bother with the pissy little 12v jobbies, they don't come close.

At idle (650rpm) I can pump up all 4 tyres faster than almost all of the 12v jobbies. Give it a couple of revs (like 1000rpm) and it takes longer for me to unhook the airline and walk to the next tyre than it does to pump up the tyre.

Unkn0wN
14-06-2011, 11:14 AM
I bought a Projecta Typhoon, 150lPm unit

Lots of bad reviews online, an lots of people saying they are fine.
Covs had them on sale for ~160ish so i bought one.
Had to take the air hose back as the guadge did not work out of the box, but within a week i had a new replacement one.
this is the reason i bought local - easy to deal with warranty claims.
Unit has not failed me in over 2 years of service.
typically id be pumping up 2-3 cars worth of tyres when i go out.
Its never hit thermal cut, even on a hot summers day.

Id recommend it a a 'cheap' 'quick' air compressor. Anything slower than 150lpm would just be painful to inflate larger tires (31inch an higher).

Im going to an endless air setup shortly, but will keep the compressor on me for a backup.

coucheee
14-06-2011, 12:32 PM
do you give it a little while to cool down between tyres? or just take it off and go to the next one? dont want to be stuck out in the bush with 1 or 2 tyres inflated.

nope, straight onto next tire, it does get warm to touch but doesn't affect performance, all compressors get hot though.

old man has a bush ranger kit (one in a bag with hose) never had any dramas with it, 6 to 1 half dozen to the other really.

Darkside
14-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Another vote here for the ARB. Mounts easy underbonnet. Has good capacity. Wiring harness supplied made it a piece of piss to install. No brainer if you are looking in to fitting air lockers down the track.

Big Cam
06-07-2011, 10:28 PM
http://www.westaircompressors.com.au/products-12v.html

Any one had any experience with these, found them last night while looking at other compressors

mod
07-07-2011, 07:50 AM
I have a under bonnet ARB to power my front Air lockers also also use to pump my 29" tyres does a great job, no need to haul around a compressor.

NVIOUS
08-07-2011, 03:39 PM
+1 another one for bushranger. Got it for xmas few years back, never had a problem pumping four 33x12.5" tyres from 9psi to 30psi. Most 12V comps arent the quickest thing though, would like to go endless air setup one day. Or if you're serious just carry a CO2 tank and blast em up in a blink of an eye, extremely handy if you've happened to pop off a bead too.

mr_mike
08-07-2011, 05:31 PM
i grabbed a 15ltr air tank of a smashed truck last week so once i get a 12v pressure switch and some spare time will be hardwiring my compressor into my patrol as well as air lines to front and back.

JAM3S
09-07-2011, 06:37 PM
We have got the portable arb ones at work and they work pretty well pumps up 2 cars with no break and haven't hit the thermal cut off yet.
Like others have said though most 12v ones are slow, go endless air if you wanna get serious can also run air tools then !