PDA

View Full Version : Looking at buying hillux

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Currently looking at an 05 hilux sr 4x4 3l turbo diesel.

Ill be using the car for majority on road with occasional off roading. Nothing major just tracks and some beach driving!

Just want to know some peoples opinions on them and how they go off road and on as ive done some research and there are very mixed reviews!

Any help be much appreciated!

MadDocker
10-04-2012, 09:39 AM
You'll be fine if you're not doing anything extreme. I love mine (03 model).

The IFS doesn't allow you to flex like a solid front axle but this wont be an issue on the beach or basic tracks. Decent tyres, snorkel, air locker and a bit of practice will get you pretty much anywhere.

They hold their value well, pretty comfortable to drive around in and are reliable. Cant go wrong really.

Joe
10-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Make sure you don't pay too much for it.

Being an 05 Model Hilux, should be aiming at getting it for around the $50-60k mark, as long as it has low km (under 300,000)

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 09:46 AM
it will only be for tracks and beach no rock climbing or anything serious!

i hear they have an issue with ground clearnace which will means a lift but that will be needed to fit bigger tires also if im correct!

MadDocker
10-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Depends how big you want to go. Mine is stock height and I'm running 31's without any issues. Only clearance issue I've had is coming off a rock to quick at the powerlines and smacking the diff housing putting a 5c size dent in it. Shit myself when it happened haha.

urabus
10-04-2012, 09:59 AM
If you are getting an 05 that will either be the last of the old model or the first of the current model? The current model has demonstaly better on road manners and is a much nicer place to be.

Be weary of ex miners if you are buying sr spec

Brendon

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 10:02 AM
yeah its new new shape and SR

the guy that owned it worked in the mines but it wasnt a fulltime mine car, he just drove to and from mines in it!

checked under the chassis and it has that red dust throughout the chassis rails and such but is it just a full clean of it or is it worse than that?

MadDocker
10-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Tried to PM but your inbox is full. Check out this site, has heaps of info that might be helpful for you.

http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/index.php

mys1
10-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Hilux will be fine for what you want to do.

If it was me I'd try and find an SR5 they have factory LSD and flares also less chance of being an ex miner

standard 15" rims wich mean 31's will go straight on as well.

Front air locker is not nescessary unless you drive like a fucking numpty. I've had them in standard trim in some pretty tricky places without dramas.

ForgedV6
10-04-2012, 11:34 AM
Ive been looking at the Hilux. Im keen to get a dual cab 4x4 towards the end of the year.

I was reading that the Hilux holds nearly 70% of its resale value.

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 11:42 AM
yeah it wont be used for any serious 4x4 just want to be able to do the basics with ease few dune runes and beach runs.

yeah im looking at a 4x4 duel cab welbody. would prefer a trayback though!

Passage GT
10-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Make sure you don't pay too much for it.

Being an 05 Model Hilux, should be aiming at getting it for around the $50-60k mark, as long as it has low km (under 300,000)

lol
they are very expensive compared to their rivals, they're pretty unpopular at work cause they fall apart quicker than the cruisers but they are put under tough conditions, in standard form the current shape ones have about as much ground clearance as a commodore and the stock susp is very soft so they can bottom out easily.
they got a good reputation for reliability etc so long as you keep them serviced, a minimum 50mm lift plus some good all terrain tyres would be must haves for any off roading imo.

shifted
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
+1 for bottoming out, seen some guys on site floor it around on bumpy roads and just kept hearing them smack the ground. Was pretty funny anyway.

Considered anything else around the same year that may be cheaper?

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 04:04 PM
yeah ive been doing some research and the biggest issue is ground clearance and with the turbo diesels they have a major injector issue!

im looking mainly at hilux, navara or patrol but it must be anything bar a wagon! prefer dual cab tray back!

budget is roughly the $20k mark give or take

joshg123
10-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Im seeing a lot come through with injector issues, id check to see if they have been done. However there are ways around the 1000 a injector rumours that float around

ForgedV6
10-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Slightly off topic. If you had to list all the 4x4 dual cabs in preferred order from top to bottom what would the list look like?

This is not my preferred order im just listing all 4/5cyl diesel 4x4 dual cabs.

Nissan Navara D40
Nissan Navara D22
Toyota Hilux
Mitsubishi Triton
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger (previous model)
Mazda BT-50
Mazda BT-50 (previous model)
Isuzu D-Max
Holden Colorado
Holden Rodeo
VW Amarok

Passage GT
10-04-2012, 09:19 PM
if a dual cab wasn't essential i wouldn't look past a patrol coil cab ute.
the 4.2's are heaps cheaper than the wagons and a lot more common, also once the 4x4 bug bites you have one of the best platforms around for mods.

BrAzZ
10-04-2012, 09:20 PM
would be

hilux
navara
patrol
triton

not muh else im really interested in!

joshg123
10-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Ford Ranger
Ford Ranger (previous model)
Mazda BT-50
Mazda BT-50 (previous model)
Isuzu D-Max
Holden Colorado
Nissan Navara D22
Toyota Hilux
VW Amarok
Mitsubishi Triton

D40 Navara

Based on what i see fuck up, shit falling off, ridiculous repair prices and what will last and what wont.... The Colorado/Dmax would be pretty much on par with the BT50/ranger..... The D22 navara would have to be with a ZD30 otherwise it can join the D40 down the bottom

Niva
18-04-2012, 05:38 PM
Had a mate come out the other day with his hilux, pretty sure its an 06. completely standard TD, and it was pretty fucking shocking in the sand dunes. Hes a decent driver but struggled alot getting it up some of the rutted sand dunes to get to the camp spot.

tyres where down to 12psi too, just didnt seem to have any suspension travel what so ever. if it has LSD it was shit and the amount of time the front made contact or the side steps where burried had alot of people singing "oh what a feelin"

edit: I know few people have mentioned they need basic mods, lift being the main one. but fuck me, for all that money I expected to be able to go down the beach confidently