PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions Wanted/Needed

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Hey guys, now that my car is nearly fixed I'm of course thinking of selling it and getting a 4x4..
So far I've been looking at mainly the older SR5's and Surfs/4Runners as I like the idea of a ute with a canopy but I'm open to suggestions
Budget would be up to 18k-ish

skinkis
05-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Same price range I was looking at a few months back.
I'd prefer as new as possible with as few kms as possible, so I looked at a few Jeeps, however, ended up with a Kia Sorento Diesel.

Comes down to what you prefer and what you want out of it though. I use mine as a daily and wouldn't want anything too uncomfortable, noisy, manual or thirsty.

PHIL
05-09-2013, 12:21 PM
you could get a dualcab rodeo,navara,trition,hilux possibly colorado. then buy a canopy for one. once things start going wrong with the older hilux surfs 4 runners it get costly, trust me im into $20k for an offroad unregoed rig

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 12:34 PM
It'll be used mainly for light 4wding and camping
I like the Surfs the most in the looks department although I think an SR5 will be the most practical incase I ever want to take the dirtbikes out without a trailer and there seems to be a few more of those around that are newer + lower KMs

MadDocker
05-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Thinking of selling mine. 2003 Dualcab Hilux, 3L TD, manual, 140k on the clock, canopy, snorkel, dark blue in colour. Ones with 200kish seem to be going for around 18 on carsales. So was thinking about putting it up for 19.5 or something and seeing how it went.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll get more details/pics and try work out a price for you.

shifted
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
If you buy an older Hilux/Surf - you'll eventually start buying parts cars.

I'm on my third parts car. Love the rig though but they are getting old, parts are needed.

How young a Surf can be found locally? Can newer ones be imported for a decent price?

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Thinking of selling mine. 2003 Dualcab Hilux, 3L TD, manual, 140k on the clock, canopy, snorkel, dark blue in colour. Ones with 200kish seem to be going for around 18 on carsales. So was thinking about putting it up for 19.5 or something and seeing how it went.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll get more details/pics and try work out a price for you.

That sounds perfect! although if I were to be selling up my current car I'm still at least a month or two away from it

If you buy an older Hilux/Surf - you'll eventually start buying parts cars.

I'm on my third parts car. Love the rig though but they are getting old, parts are needed.

How young a Surf can be found locally? Can newer ones be imported for a decent price?

Petrol or diesel? I was under the impression the diesels were pretty bullet-proof?

MadDocker
05-09-2013, 01:52 PM
I only just started talking to the mrs about selling up and getting another car this week. When you're ready, drop me a line and we might be able to sort something out.

evoeata
05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
ive got an 89 surf. take it out bush all the time and it loves it. i bought it for 2.5k but have probably thrown another 6-8 at it with mods and had to fix the head and a heap of other stuff from dodgy past owners and wear and tear on an older car. probably the best part about it is that if i take it out bush i can smash it round and drive the fuck out of it knowing that if i dent a panel or whatever there are plenty of them around that can be robbed of parts. alot of parts are interchangable between surfs/4runners and aussie hiluxs. usually have to order hilux parts anyway from most parts places because they look at you like your speaking spanish when you ask for surf parts. plenty of them on gumtree with enough mods to get out bush pretty much straight away. first thing i would do would be a front locker, lift and some good tyres. try and get one with the 2.8L diesel or the 3L diesel. good reliable engines.

shifted
05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Petrol or diesel? I was under the impression the diesels were pretty bullet-proof?

By older I mean 1997 and older. Mine is 1996, Diesel. Goes well and is a great work horse, I've got the parts cars mostly for interior bits and panels (these rust something terrible) - driveline is awesome. Mine has taken a bashing and it's sweet.

The great thing about them really is you can pick up 4Runner, Surf or 2WD Hilux wrecks for all the panels and shit. Driver's door forward is identical between them (1989-early 1997) obviously 2WD is identical to 4WD not considering the driveline. Lots of people wreck a Surf for the interior bits - cup holders, clock, 2 extra gauges on the cluster (unless you have an SR5 already), power windows etc.

Mine has the 2.8D, not the most powerful thing out there but it hasn't let me down and I'm nearing 280,000kms. The best thing is never worrying about scratches or dents. :D

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, if I do commit to one I think I'll be going for a 2000 onwards SR5 dual-cab which is sort of what I'd always been keen on anyway

DrKarl
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
I did the same.. Kinda.

Bought a 2000 Hilux 3.0D. Slow, but reliable as hell. Perfect for me, do heaps of city driving and a little 4wding. Goes good all round and im getting 600 - 650kms to a tank of 66ltrs.

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I'll be keeping my eyes out for a 3.0TD but I'll probably settle for the V6

Although I'm sure that once I get to actually take the chaser out for a drive I won't want to sell it any more.

gazza750
05-09-2013, 04:12 PM
I would take the Surf out of thinking .As they are classified as an import not ADM. A few guys I know with them are getting rid of them as most insurance companies will no longer insure them. Fore Runner is the ADM version .

Sharpy1991
05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
2005 dual cab Triton? 220k kms, comes with canopy and sports bar if you want it, dual batteries, uhf, manual turbo diesel.

$12k

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/baldivis/cars-vans-utes/2005-mitsubishi-triton-ute/1025873040

is pretty much set up for camping and has never let me down apart from the clutch shitting itself, which has all been fixed now.

S133LTR
05-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Cough
http://antilag.com/forums/showthread.php?59441-86-Hilux-extra-cab-V6-conversion
cough

ENYXR
05-09-2013, 09:56 PM
Cough
http://antilag.com/forums/showthread.php?59441-86-Hilux-extra-cab-V6-conversion
cough

I had considered this but the need for 4 doors rules it out..

ENYXR
18-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Well I went against what everyone said and bought a Surf mainly because it was manual and had the 1kzte which is a pretty desirable combo, haven't taken it off road yet but I'm enjoying it so far
Will throw a few pictures up in the 4x4 picture thread when the weather clears up

lazy6
18-09-2013, 04:49 PM
if you dont mind petrol look into the r50 pathfinders ive put mine through its paces and still drive it daily very comfy for a soft roader.