PDA

View Full Version : Petrol put into an unleaded vehicle..

Passage GT
02-10-2014, 06:09 PM
ok so a friend of mine has recently hired an au pair who when using her car put in just under 8 litres of unleaded into the tank, car currently has a bit under a quarter of a tank and a full sub.
I seem to think if she drains the sub into it, shoots down to the nearest servo and then fills it back up, it should dilute it enough to not cause any issues.

Can anybody confirm if this will be ok or will she need to get the car towed and have the tank drained etc?
i understand crd injected vehicles are pretty sensitive to poor fuel etc.

any help is much appreciated.

Brett_J
02-10-2014, 06:16 PM
I would drain it, modern diesels are different to the old clackers, bulk pressures these days and requiring proper lubrication. But that's me, others will be all YOLO and fill her up, but pumps, injectors and seals aren't cheap to replace.

Probably meant unleaded in a DIESEL car in the title ?

DRKWRX
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
Im not sure either but would rather pay 100 or so tow than 5k in fucked parts.

Gr3mlin
02-10-2014, 06:24 PM
The risk of it is way to high, seen so many cars/trucks come through with wrong fuel been run through. Basically throwing away wads of cash and it usually takes a couple of days to fix it correctly.

Tow and drain it.

Damo 69
02-10-2014, 06:31 PM
Pics of au pair? They are usually eastern block and hot

n1ghth4wk
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Drain it. A mate did this to his D-Max at the start of the year. He drove it home, and then to the mechanics the next day. Half a tank, 8k damage from memory.

Passage GT
02-10-2014, 06:36 PM
don't have any pics, they're up in Wickham and her bf is away at work for another 2 weeks, she won't be confident draining it herself i'm sure.
au pair is young, french, has glasses, not bad but doesn't put in a lot of effort either...

n1ghth4wk
02-10-2014, 06:51 PM
Get her to post on WAJCC. Will have 30 or so blokes screaming to help her for free.

*Cough* Toniya

bertocchi
04-10-2014, 08:44 PM
don't risk it, I see this way too often at work. lol @ price of diesel injector pumps & injectors.
have seen people get away with draining petrol and changing fuel filter. it depends on the diesel setup to be honest...

Joe
05-10-2014, 06:39 AM
This only works on old style diesels, not common rails.

Have done it several times with our delivery fleet. Last time it happened, with our Mercedes Sprinter, it wouldn't start so we got it towed to Galvsport. Amongst other ridiculous stupid design features, Mercedes did not install a tank drain plug, so Josh had to use an old Bosch 044 and a hose fed into the filler neck to empty the tank.

Passage GT
05-10-2014, 11:11 AM
found a thread on patrol forums, it's happened to a fair few people, some guys filled up their main and sub tank almost from empty, drained tanks, cleaned out fuel lines and flushed it all out, cars been fine since. one guy put 40 litres into his and didn't even drain it, topped the rest up with diesel and kept driving, has done 50,000km since with no issues, in this case it was less than 8 litres of petrol, still going to syphon as much as they can from the main tank, then empty the sub into it (which is full of diesel) to get to the servo and then fill the main tank with diesel, by then it will only be a tiny bit of petrol left in the system so i'm pretty confident it will be ok.