PDA

View Full Version : Pros and cons? 2015 triton dual cab 4wd

UXX127
08-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Hi guys, did a quick search but couldn't find anything but if there is a thread please feel free to link me to it

Looking at a new triton dual cab 4wd auto turbo diesel

Anyone own one?
Pros and cons?
What are they like off road and towing?

Will mainly be used for daily driving with a small amount of towing and 4wding

One thing I noticed was that it was quite slow to get going but once u are going it seemed to cruise along ok

Any help would be much appreciated

Satan
08-04-2015, 08:54 PM
don't they have rear drum brakes?

adrenalin
08-04-2015, 09:03 PM
We just bought one as a work hack.

Pros - Cheap brand new \ rear seat prob most spacious and comfortable \ BT connection standard.

Cons - Steering is FUCKING SHIT ( literally the worst i have ever felt including my old 82 BMW which had no PS ), Rear brakes are drums , genuine accessories are a rip off.

Satan
08-04-2015, 09:04 PM
case closed

The_Senator
08-04-2015, 09:08 PM
Navara's also have rear drum brakes..

Satan
08-04-2015, 09:09 PM
good god why??

UXX127
08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
We just bought one as a work hack.

Pros - Cheap brand new \ rear seat prob most spacious and comfortable \ BT connection standard.

Cons - Steering is FUCKING SHIT ( literally the worst i have ever felt including my old 82 BMW which had no PS ), Rear brakes are drums , genuine accessories are a rip off.

Thanks for the feedback mate, I too noticed the steering but thought I'd learn to live with it

Yes they do have rear drums but didn't see that as to much of a con

evoeata
08-04-2015, 09:17 PM
its a 4wd, not a ferrari. mate of mine has a GLXR triton. great rig. does plenty of beach driving and its comfy as fuck. plenty of space, good on fuel and all the fruit you would want from a 4wd. id buy one if i needed a 4x4 ute for sure.

UXX127
08-04-2015, 09:18 PM
Thanks mate

SimonR32
08-04-2015, 09:22 PM
They are just about to release the new triton. I got an invite to the Australian launch next week today

Passage GT
08-04-2015, 09:52 PM
yeah new one coming out soon, will cost more though, did you drive auto's or manuals, if you plan to tow i'd personally get an auto in any modern dual cab, manuals are simply too hard on the clutch, the auto's usually aren't bad too bad to drive either.
This is assuming the newer ones have a 5 speed auto? the old man has an older ML and he's had a few issues with his auto.

shifted
08-04-2015, 10:15 PM
These are the ones with that rear split window that comes down? Sole reason I want to own one, as I want to chuck the pooches in the back with a canopy.

Hope they keep that feature on the new one...

adrenalin
08-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Yea ours is auto.

Also true about space

Only other weird thing is how far forward the rear axle is from the back of the tray.

Also had a d22 navara for old job and that was definitely worse then the triton.

I also test drove the Mazda BT50 which was by far the best but almost 15k more.

Can confirm it likes skids around corners.

Check out the ford ranger as well.

caibs
09-04-2015, 08:15 PM
mate has a auto triton 4x4 dual cab td couple years old but still under waranty. auto slips at light load at approx 100. air con condensor failed. airbag light. has nothing but headaches trying to get them to even look at it.

i have a 2015 2wd manual triton td as a work car i personally think its pretty rad. also our car up north is a 4x4 triton manual td. i dont see an issue with the steering whatsoever, in either of them. gearboxes are a bit notchy, thats probably my only complaint. otherwise good cars.

Brett_J
09-04-2015, 08:29 PM
Con - Ugly as fuck, that rear section of the cab - yeesh !

Otherwise, bang for buck they are probably the best turbo diesel 4wd ute around.

HotAe92
09-04-2015, 09:21 PM
They are just about to release the new triton. I got an invite to the Australian launch next week today

^this is a big con.

The new one looks the goods.

Joe
10-04-2015, 10:05 PM
The new one is also a helluva lot more expensive.

A 29k proper 4x4 with 3 tonne towing capacity.. Any cons you can think of aren't worth considering. I have had one for the past 15 months and the only con is how much of a handful it is in the wet.. Although the stability control works well.

Sampy36
12-04-2015, 05:28 PM
don't they have rear drum brakes?

All of those dual cab utes have rear drum brakes and a leaf sprung live rear axle. From Triton through to Amarok.

The current Tritons are not great performers on the tarmac, but go well offroad. The diesel engines seem to have a far fewer problems than those found in the competition, particuarly the Amarok.

As others have said there is a new model coming out soon so I imagine there would be good deals to be had on 2015 runout.