ITP Racecars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 4x4 Day Out

4x4 Day Out

A bunch of us are going up along the beach to Wedge for some fun starting at Lancelin and then moving onwards to Wedge.

When: 20th November.
    Meet Point: BP Kewdale Abernethy Rd.
    Meet Time: 09:00 for a 09:30 depart.

We will be arranging a meet point around Wanneroo for the Northies who want to hook up with us, stay tuned for details on the exact location.

As per normal, a BBQ will be brought along if anyone wants to bring a snag to cook up.

in

keen if home

could be keen!
    Structural Engineer

'13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

Keen!

up for it

put me down, fancy a trip with other vehicles instead of jeeps all the time!

mr_mike is offline Bit of a pingpingpingping....
    how many ppl here got beach/sand driving experience?
    Everyone got their own recovery gear and rated recovery points?

Are you gonna put a vehicle limit on this trip? nothing spoils a 4wd run more than to many vehicles.

maybe interested.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mike View Post
    how many ppl here got beach/sand driving experience?
    Everyone got their own recovery gear and rated recovery points?
    None. :-(
    Nope. :-(

Run through for newbies in regard to recovery gear/rated recovery points?
    Structural Engineer

'13 Yamaha R1 // '16 Toyota Hilux SR5 // '00 Toyota Supra RZ // '72 Ford XA Fairmont

been wedge lanno before few times, not in the patrol though, dont they have rated points front n rear stock?

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    None. :-(
    Nope. :-(

Run through for newbies in regard to recovery gear/rated recovery points?
    Snatch Strap, Rated shackles. AutoOne stock recovery kits with shackles/strap/bag/gloves. Patrol has a factory recovery point on rear above towball. you'd need to get one fitted on the front.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_mike View Post
    Are you gonna put a vehicle limit on this trip? nothing spoils a 4wd run more than to many vehicles.
    An more than 5 frustrates the hell out of me if I have to drive lol.

If vitara is sas'd by then I would be up for it if numbers are modest.

Although the patrol handbook says u can do a "recovery" of that factory hook on the back it has been brought up many times on patrol forums that you cannot use that hook safely as neither the bolts or the hook itself are rated.
    The hooks/loops on the front and back of most 4wd are not for recoveries either these are purely for tieing down a vehicle in transit. I have seen a few 4wd's come thru work with these loops ripped clean off and we have had to replace the lower support.

Rear recovery can be done with a rear towbar tounge and bow shackle or a reece hitch. For the basic tow set up remove the actual tow ball itself and put a bow shackle thru the hole in the tounge. You can now safely attach a snatch strap to it.
    For reese hitch type tow set up you can either use a unit that slides into the reciever like this and the snatch strap hook to it via the bow shackle.

Or you can just use a snatch strap around the pin inside the reece hitch itself.

On the front if you have a steel bar there is usually eyelet you can hook a bow shackle onto. Or you can buy aftermarket recovery hooks for about $20ea and there is usually somewhere u can bolt them on. I know on the Hilux they bolt in place of the factory tie down points.

For a beach trip a bare miniumum i would say at least one recovery point is enough, a snatch strap, 2x bow shackles and a shovel.
    Snatch strap can be had for about $100 from most auto places.
    Bow shackles are used because they disperse the force around the shape of the shackle were as a D shackle the load tends to be directed onto the pin and thread.
    A long handle shovel is handy as if you are stuck in deep sand digging a clear path around the wheels will make a recovery alot quick, safer and less strain on equipment.

Thing with sand driving is tyre pressure, drop your tyres down to 12-15psi and you should have no trouble driving on sand unless you loose momentum in some really soft sand. Simplist way to see if you pressure is right when driving push the clutch in or bang it in N if your tyres are low enough you should roll for a little bit without any drive, if you pretty much stop or sink straight way then u need to air down a bit.

I'm in, sounds good.

mr mike - yes and yes.

Anyone got an exhaust jack? Beats the shit out of digging sand with a shovel if you do get bogged.

Half the fun of 4wd'ing is recovering other vehicles.

i have all the gear (inc winch) and plenty of experience, tho i wont recover anyone without rated recovery points.

suggest that no one comes without rated recovery points. we should have plenty of gear between us.

Quote Originally Posted by devilfish View Post
    i have all the gear and plenty of experience, tho i wont recover anyone without rated recovery points.

suggest that no one comes without rated recovery points. we should have plenty of gear between us.
    +1

Keen for north meetpoint

i'm in wanneroo, suggest we meet at maccas.

The North meet point is being decided on our forum at the moment.

I should have an answer for all concerned very soon.

I have put forward Maccas Wanneroo as a request.

What forum?

Link to original thread - http://www.westcoastcruisers.com.au/...nds-just-fine/

The North meet point will be at McDonalds in Wanneroo.

Address: Keane St, Sinagra (between Hastings, and Shaw Rd according to Google maps)

It will take 1 hr to get there from Kelmscott so the meet time for the North site will be 10:00, for a 10:30 depart.

Great to see a good response of people that maybe attending this event. It should be a good one guys. All recovery gear is required as always.

I can't wait to bash to Patrol and see what it goes like with the vortex 350 chev compared to the cruiser with the AMC 360. It shall be interesting...

Any inexperienced people who are thinkin of going on this trip should go buy the latest 4WD Action magazine (one with white Landrover on the front) it has a pretty good artical on how to drive in sand, recovery points, sand recoveries and tyre pressures.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast