ITP Racecars
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RW18 Build - Aussie GTR

RW18 Build - Aussie GTR

So I've dropped hints that i was building a new car instead of taking the drag car back to Albany for next year, however If i can't sort my shit out with this in time, I will be taking it again.

So i conned you into clicking this page because of the GTR label... but it'll be worth it. keep reading.

So what am i doing? instead of converting my drag car to AWD, which was the plan. I Picked up a silver vy sv8 rolling shell with vz bonnet/guards/lights on a set of 19" GTS rims a couple of weekends ago, for the lowely sum of $1k

Today i stripped all the carpet, seats and shit out of it, along with nearly a kg of rat shit from the bastards eating the carpet/plastics.

Motor wise, I'll be using the drag car motor, it's a 410ci LS2 darton sleeved block, it was pulled out after the end of the season to check it over, rod bearings were still like new so we put it back together.

As the motor was assembled over 5 years ago, I wanted to put new valve springs on & it turns out it was a good idea, as we did find one of the inner valve springs broken on a valve (triple valve springs) so got all double's put on. Much smaller/lighter then the older ones that were available back then.
    Not sure how long it had been broken for though

Anyway to run the AWD setup, I'm using an Adventra front K-Frame which is a bit on the beefy/heavy side compared to a normal k-frame, had all new nolathane bushes installed in it through out.

As the sump is a much better design I won't need to run an accumulator any more (look very gtr'ish?)

The front diff bolts to the sump, with a driveshaft going through sump to the front axles, the front diff does not run an LSD though. On the AWD commodore platform the ABS system controlled wheelspin from wheel to wheel with no LSD's at all. I wont have that shit.

I'll just run a locker in the ass end and let the front tyres spin, apparently they tend to light up the left side so we shall see.

Transfer case wise I'm using the standard Adventra NV120 transfer case, it's a 38/62 split. Gearbox wise I'm going to use a VE TR6060 geabox, but i might change the 5th gear ratio from the original .84 to a .80 from an earlier box.

Now transfer case to gearbox is where shit get's interesting/fun trying to work out & i've been getting help from a guy who does a heap of offroad 4wd stuff. Basically I wanted to have the option to run the car in AWD & RWD for dyno tuning & in case something happens to the transfer case (they weren't really designed for my power)

So we did this by making up a new "spud shaft" that will bolt into the standard rubber donut on the gearbox & then slides into the transfer case, we will then clock the transfer case for the front drive shaft once i get all the motor and shit in. If we need to cut out the tunnel to fit it, that'll happen & was the main reason i was doing this build in a new shell & not my drag car.

That's were i got up to today, tomorrow I'll continue on removing all the old aircon blower/heater core. I'm going to leave all the original wiring in this car though as there is really fuck all to remove in the first place. I may even leave the front speakers in for some doof doof.

I'll update with pics/findings as I go.

Dave

You magnificent bastard!

3. Likes Buckets likes this post
    Fucking mint

So much cool

Dis gun be good
    a n t i l a g . c o m

Love it.

This is epic

Can't wait for more
    R32 GTR - Kippah Performance Signature Series

Quote Originally Posted by masTers View Post
    DAMO PLZ

Antilag.com can't afford to keep forking out for magazine subscriptions every time you offend someone

This is fucking epic. I always heard the transfer case im these was made of glass so it will be interesting to see how it copes with HP.

Who needs a shit fucking Nissan when there's Commodores!
    Quote Originally Posted by JME View Post
    Fuck People.

10. Likes heavyduty1340 likes this post
    I'm sure we've all had this idea at some stage....great that you're doing it! I guess the standard 4L65 or whatever auto it is fitted to the transfer can't take the torque?

Wonder how hard it would be to get a wrecked turbo tezza (not diesel like ours!) And throw the front subrframe zf auto, transfer case etc into a ute? That would also be a great plan. Heaps of room for big rubber under a tray...

12. Likes Hurtenstein likes this post
    Chicken wings in 3 2 1

Subscribed.
    xw Falcon 393 Full race cam. NGK plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckets View Post
    This is fucking epic. I always heard the transfer case im these was made of glass so it will be interesting to see how it copes with HP.

Who needs a shit fucking Nissan when there's Commodores!
    Transfer case is actually pretty stout, it's just that they put it behind the POS 4L60e in the adventra/crewman.

The output shaft for instance was only a 27 tooth spline vs a 40 on the transfer case, transfer case is also a planetary gearset & not chain driven too.

If i break 1 transfer case, I have another already spare. If i get it all up and running for RW. the plan was to take both tailshafts so i can try an awd & rwd run too.

16. Likes -Luke-, S85FI likes this post
    Excellent idea! I've always wondered how these performed in AWD platform with power. I guess were going to find out!

Is it possible to fit a built centre to the front diff or there really isn't much aftermarket support there?

Very cool!

So keen to see this work. So much 4wd stuff at these 1000m runs.

He's got the know how and certainly proved high hp set ups.

No doubt this will work.

Can not wait.

I thought about a coupe 4 for racing in IP in a brief moment of insanity.

Big grunt NA 6l would surely be a good thing, especially given you can pretty much run everything v8sc in IP.

But this is a much better idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post
    There was a guy in the early years of the Speedevent series who bought one of the Coupe 4’s and thought he would destroy everyone, he disappeared quite quickly once it was obviously not the car to do the job.
    Sad thing was he sold a very rapid Xu1 Torana that had the Waggot twincam head to buy the HSV
    Nismo Sauras Jr 290hp and 450kg

61.3 Long track Wanneroo,
    52.4 Short track Wanneroo
    46.55 Collie

Patiently waiting for the home reno’s to be finished before more aero mods to break those times above

Quote Originally Posted by Denver View Post

Big grunt NA 6l would surely be a good thing, especially given you can pretty much run everything v8sc in IP.

But this is a much better idea!
    Guy rocked up to targa tas a couple of years ago with a manual one. Few noses out of joint given they were never sold in manual. However he blew the transfer case up. He was running pretty big na hp. Thing sounded rather stout.
    Thinkwater Canningvale: All of your irrigation and pool needs
    Mini excavator for hire

22. Likes Buckets likes this post
    Only a small update, nothing technical has really happened today. As i was also working on my ute which also needs to be ready for RW18.

Made use of a mates plasma cutter and cut out the front radiator support bar.

Doing the same thing i did with my drag car to get it down lower, as i'll be using a VE Radiator again, intercooler then mounts to radiator like my drag car.
    Drag car for example:

Also cut out the rear mount they run in the boot for the spare tyre since I'll be running a 40lt fuel cell drop tank/pump setup in the boot along with the battery.

Moved the sports seat from my ute into the car

Put colour coded side mirrors on from the wrecked adventra i got the k-frame and shit from. Good thing i took them off since the car is the same colour

Since the drag car is going haltech & new 7" display (eventually... just need to install it all) I have put the old Clubsport dash cluster in to this car, since i already disabled all the ABS errors & shit in the programming.

Even put in silver door handles on the inside in place of the original black ones.

& last but not least removed the heater core shit from underneath the dash, that saves about 20kg or so.

24. Likes DAN [GTI], Miggy, heavyduty1340, S85FI, dmanvan likes this post
    Quote Originally Posted by RH8 GTR View Post
    Excellent idea! I've always wondered how these performed in AWD platform with power. I guess were going to find out!

Is it possible to fit a built centre to the front diff or there really isn't much aftermarket support there?

Very cool!
    I dropped a diff off to wa diff centre to see what could be done, i.e ratio change or whatever but apparently they only really go up from the original 3.46 to 3.91/4.11 because they share similar internals to the bwm x5. Might be possible to run a quaife but that shit is expensive.

I'm limited to using the stock 3.46 diff ratio front/rear so that's why i had to go to the tr6060 to get the 5th gear overdrive. All my calculations are also working off a 315/60/15 rear tyre so i also need to get a tyre close to that in overall diameter for the front too, along with brakes to pull the fucker up.

26. Likes Miggy, heavyduty1340 likes this post
    fark yeah, keep this up.....i dont like commodores so much, but this will be a likable car :P

Dave, have you seen the vy/z Ute with AWD? Has a coupe 4 body kit. Engineered I’m pretty sure
    Throwing everything in the 'fuck it' bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by SSICK View Post
    Dave, have you seen the vy/z Ute with AWD? Has a coupe 4 body kit. Engineered I’m pretty sure
    I'm only aware of 1 other car/adventra that is running a VE T56/tr6060 with the transfer case so I know what i want to is possible.

Most people who are doing the AWD conversions are keeping the shit 4l60 driveline setup. Not even a built 4l80e can be guaranteed to withstand the power im wanting to put through 4th gear since i need the over drive.

30. Likes Miggy, heavyduty1340 likes this post
    Going to be very interesting!! How serious are you planning on going with the weight reduction? power/weight goals?
    95' 33 GTST . . .

Besides removing what i've already posted there isn't a great lot i could do besides maybe gutting out the rear doors, back seat area & then replace with a Ally Cover.

This car will definitely be heavier than my drag car because of the AWD setup anyway. I'm leaving the front doors alone, so speakers are still in. Will probably use the stock stereo head unit so i can tune into the radio sluts while i wait in line.

I'll honestly be happier if i go quicker than the 302 from last year & nothing breaks, while I'm gearing it up for 320+kph. I'm putting a LOT of faith in the stock tr6060 with it's 450ftlb torque rating, and then hoping the clutch i put into it will with stand it too.

I haven't weighed anything yet, but I don't think it'll be under 1600kg's once it's all loaded. I can't really throw out hp figures since i never dyno'd the motor for any power runs since it would also blow the tyre's off.

Once it's running however i'll be doing some testing on a hub dyno for sure.

33. Likes huggy_b, S85FI, azzada1 likes this post
    Radio sluts like this!

35. Likes S85FI, Buckets likes this post
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast